Sunday, April 17, 2011

Better

It's hard to believe, but life with this little man just got even better. Although he's been a happy, happy, (busy), happy guy, he's had a rough time since December 13th. Since then we've been making a trip to the ped every two weeks (antibiotics last 10days) for ear infections. Finally, when we spent half a day juggling antibiotics and trying to track down the right one at a high enough dose we called it. A week later we got into the ENT. 2 Weeks later Christian was the proud recipient of tubes.
After a plethora :) of tests at the ENT they discovered that his eardrums were retracted and he had some fluid that appeared to be stuck there. Basically, he felt like he was on a airplane 24/7. No wonder the kid hasn't slept more than 5hrs a night since February. Knowing it wasn't just going away with cold/flu season I went ahead and booked the first available surgery, which unfortunately happened to be when Reed was scheduled to be in Barcelona/London.
I debated pushing it back to ensure that Reed would be here, but then I 'lost' my car in the parking lot, didn't plug in the slow cooker for Sunday dinner and triple booked myself for one morning I decided that we (I) may not make it 168 more hours without sleep.
It could not have gone better. Reed got an early flight home and was back the night before. We arrived at 6:30am, I carried C back into the operating room at 8am, held him for the 15 seconds it took for him to fall asleep, walked to post-op and prepared his bottle, finishing chatting with the surgeon in time to see him wheeled in. Seeing just how good they were at the children's hospital was amazing and helped quiet any doubts/flashbacks I was having. By the time the nurse finished giving me instructions he was stirring and he did his only crying of the morning as they handed him to me in chair. Then he chugged a bottle, got dressed and we were out of there and home by 9am.

I swear he was happier later that day and he slept through the night (to the sound of angels singing) saturday. I'd say it was a good choice :)

***BTW, fun fact: 3 of our 4 kiddos have had surgery before they were a year old***

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

so glad everything went well...i hope you start getting some good sleep!!!

Holly Park said...

Those little ones are sure resilient with surgery, aren't they! I'm so glad to hear he's a new man!

Amy said...

wow, isn't it wonderful that can figure these things out and fix them? Instead of moms and kiddos suffering through. Glad it all went smoothly! You are one tough momma.

Kathryn Lowry said...

So glad he's doing better (and therefore, you to! Blessed sleep!