Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Good, the bad, the ugly

I know I've used this title before, but it captures my afternoon so perfectly it demanded recycling. At 3:30 we headed over to the pediatrician's office for Matts' 5year check up.
No shots? Good.
45 lbs, 44inches? Good.
Entertaining the nurses with stories of the children's hospital? Very good.
Figuring out the cause of Matts' FUO (Fever of unknown origin, it's really fun to type and say :)? Very, Very Good

Matts apparently has a full blown ear infection in his right ear. So, we're hypothesizing that our tough little man gets "sick" before he gets sick (remember the colic that turned out to be a 4 month ear infection and "gas" that turned out to be hand, foot and mouth). The bad news it that he's still sick. Hopefully the omnicef will knock out the ear infection and whatever else is floating around his body. But, knowing Matts and his ears I'm not holding my breath.

And the Ugly? Well, it's a doozie (wow, I'm full of awesomeness today). On the way home, in rush hour traffic, Matts started to complain that he was hot, then specifically his belly was hot, then all I heard was an eruption from the back seat as Matts covered not one, but two car seats in throw-up. And that's not even the really ugly part. By the time we made it home Matts had fallen asleep. Yuck.
I had two choices. Leave my car a mess, wake the child up and carry him screaming to the shower, then return to the car and deal with that mess after 30 minutes of marinating. Or...leave him sleeping and get a head start on the car. Being the conscientious, caring mother that I am I chose the car. Like I said earlier, I'm overflowing with awesomeness.

5 comments:

Mary Mitchell said...

Kendall, you are awesome. I have only cleaned up baby throw up, I can't even fathom five year old throw up. I hope your car is clean as can be and Mattson is feeling better. Uggh, hopefully that's a once in a lifetime experience.

Kandis said...

That is OUT OF CONTROL!!! I know about throw-up and seats all too well... not fun!

Diane said...

Hi, Kendall--it sounds as if there is way too much excitement/adventure at your house. You are such a good sport and a cute mom! I sure hope Matts feels better soon. Give him Grandma Diane's love!

Candilyn said...

Kendall, I am sorry, I laughed out loud when I pictured your dilemma and your "solution". Hugs to the boys, and I love the pictures of Mattson on the blog...what a great year, and so filled with MATTSON!
Love you all, Grandma Candi

Hayley Baum said...

Oh man!!! Sounds like H-E-double hockey sticks! We will come and cheer him up soon. Sounds like he needs cuddles and mcdonalds ice cream from his aunt hayley :)