Thursday, August 12, 2010

First day of School, First day of School!

Both Matts and Gray started school on August 5th. It's crazy early, but Cobb county is trying out a balanced schedule, so we'll be getting a few extra weeks off during the year. In the interest of the "Making Memories" enrichment I'm putting on tonight this will be much longer than usual. For those who want the short version; Matts did great, we're pleasantly surprised with the public school and he's already arranged the all important crew. Gray did great as well but just can't understand why all the other kids don't follow all the directions all the time. Christian is in baby heaven. I swear he already knows when it's his time. I have a love/hate relationship with only having one kid T/W/TH. Half the time I plan all the projects I can accomplish, the other half I run around like a chicken trying to get everything done before the kiddos get home so I can give them "quality" time.

I think Matts' first day was great. He's apparently past the stage of telling me every detail, but based on his cheerful attitude in the evening, I'm assuming things are going well. The first day about broke my heart when I asked him what he did at recess and he said he walked around by himself kicking rocks at trees. But, the next day he played with Larry, the next day played with Larry and a girl named Underdog :) and as of today, has a crew up and running. Also, even on that first day he told me "Mom, I like my teacher, she always has time to listen to what I say". So; so far, so good.
Gray marched right into his classroom and hasn't looked back. In fact, this week the school has us walking them in and Gray everyday tries to assure me that I can just drop him off, he's really ok. In addition to his extreme independence I've also discovered that, when given the chance, Gray will not stop talking. Seriously, this kid gives me running commentary from the time he wakes up until we pick up Matts in carpool. After that, he and Matts are too busy running around making up for lost time to stop and talk.
All in all, a crazy and good week. It's hard to believe that we have a school age child. Reed had to talk me off the cliff as I swore I was never sending Matts to school. He very wisely pointed out that 6 year olds all across the world are capable of finding their classrooms, eating lunch, making friends and making it out to carpool. I also can't believe that Gray is ready to head off to school and he is SO ready. He just seems to be our little cartoon who goes through life enjoying everyone and everything. Finally, I can't believe I have 3 boys. Throughout the week, and especially in sacrament meeting, I look down the row and shake my head with a bemused expression. It's all just so unexpectedly wonderful. It's a strange feeling to know that the things you've taught your child are being put to use as they spend the majority of their day away from you and will now be acting so much more independently. I can only hope that we've taught them well. Taught them to be resilient, confident and above all, kind.

3 comments:

Holly Park said...

Hooray for a week down! I can't believe those little monkeys are in school and growing up so quickly! I'm so glad Matts found Larry:)

Chelsea said...

crazy! I'm glad they are having fun at school...we miss you guys!

Diane said...

Kendall--if anyone has taught their children well, it is you! Your boys will be just fine, and they will do a great job in their respective new little worlds. I do remember feeling that huge lump in my throat as each of our children went to school for their first time.... I am so glad that Matts is up and running with Larry and his new crew! He is off to a good start.