Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Happy Birthday Elle

Apparently I've used up all my wittiness for the evening. So for wishing our precious Elle a very Happy Birthday, I'll commandeer a song that has played throughout her life. While I was pregnant with her and cooking pancakes on Sunday mornings, while we attended Sacrament at PCMC, while I was alone in Denver, while we drove home after her death, while we closed her funeral and now while I sing Christian to sleep each night.

Lead kindly light amid the encircling gloom
Lead thou me on
The night is dark and I am far from home
Lead thou me on
Keep thou my feet I do not ask to see
The distant scene one step enough for me.
I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou
Shouldst lead me on
I loved to choose and see my path but now
Lead thou me on
I loved the garish day and spite of fears
Pride ruled my will
Remember not past years.
So long thy power has kept me sure it still
Will lead me on
'Or moor and fen 'or craig and torrent till
The night is gone
And with the morn those angel faces smile
Which I have loved long since and lost awhile.

11 comments:

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday little angel

Caldwell Family said...

This is a beautiful song for your beautiful little girl. I love this song and sang it for my grandma's funeral. It always brings tears to my eyes. Happy Birthday Elle.

Heather Inns said...

I don't know why I didn't notice before, but her birthday is the day after mine. Happy Birthday Elle.

Chelsea said...

Happy Birthday little Elle...we miss you!

Holly Park said...

Love that sweet angel! At least someone was in heaven to corral all of these wild monkey boys!

Melia and Christian said...

Happy Birthday, Elle. We love you!

Diane said...

Beautiful blog post, Kendall. That is one of my favorite songs.

Diane said...

Beautiful blog post, Kendall. That is one of my favorite songs.

Jensen Family said...

Happy Birthday Elle! We sure love you guys and think of you the boys and Elle often. We love and miss you.

Jacobson Five said...

Love it! I love seeing all the pictures of sweet baby Elle!

Brooke Caputo said...

I randomly found your blog, and am so happy that I did. I too, lost one of my daughters, my second, in 2004 after only 13 days. I am happy to see that there is someone else out there that still blogs birthday messages, even many years later. My sweet Katie Belle would be 7 this June, and it still hurts my soul. I now have two more daughters to keep me busy, and I 100% agree with what you said about God providing for us. Moments after Kate's death, my eldest daughter asked for dinner....I picked my head up, wiped my tears and made her something to eat. It was like God was reminding me that I was still needed, and live must go on. :) God Bless you and your beautiful family. ~ Broooke