Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Globe

"Such stuff as dreams are made on"
Fun fact: R and I were studying The Tempest when he proposed. 

I may have only a blurry iphone pic to document it, but going to see The Tempest at The Globe is a highlight of London, and possibly a top 10 of my life! 
You are taught that Shakespeare is meant to be performed not read, and although I've seen other productions, I don't think I completely "got" it until this night. When Prospero spoke the words: Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Unless I be relieved by prayer...Let your indulgence set me free. The entire theatre held it's breath and then "released" Prospero through thunderous applause. I honestly spent half the night leaning over the railing, a goofy smile on my face and completely enthralled. 
It was, simply, magical. 

No comments: